Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Our Disaster of a Guest Suite

Last weekend our guest suite looked fairly sparse with just a few pieces in it.  The bed (which was my first grown-up purchase), a rocking chair (that was my mother-in-laws and she refinished when she was pregnant with Erik), a secretary desk and mirror that was my great-grandmothers, and a lonely lamp that Erik had with a whopping 40W light bulb in it - yeah it was dark at night!

Well, I decided the room needed to feel a little more "homey" as my father-in-law and his fiance are coming to visit the house for the first time.  Erik and I picked up a ceiling fan last weekend (that's still hanging out in our living room after a 5 hour debacle getting the one in our master bedroom up).  I also decided the room also needed some side-tables, lamps and art.  Nothing a trip to IKEA and Target can't handle. 

I started out picking up a side table and lamps at Target. I've been eyeing the lamps for a good three months, hoping they'd come down in price, but alas, they held firm on the price, so I bit the bullet.




Next up, an unfinished side table from IKEA.
Add a quart of black paint from Sherwin Williams (working on using the gift card I won in December), and I have a disaster area upstairs. 

I got a second coat on the pieces this morning, I plan to do one more tonight and let it cure for two days before assembling.  Other than that, I'm thinking that I'll do something with the frames in the background, bring up a rattan trunk I have in our living room (to go next to the chair), get the ceiling fan up, and possibly introduce this bedding I originally purchased for our master. 
 Hopefully it all gets done before Thursday evening, so I'm not rushing around on Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I love that lamp! Can't wait to see what the space will look like when you are done.

    www.whatyoumakeit-coley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete