Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dining Room Decisions

I've read a number of design books and blogs that discuss the proper sizing of a chandelier.  Two formulas I've seen have been:

1.  Divide the width of your dining room table by 2
2.  Add the room's length and width in feet

If I were to follow these "rules" I should be looking for a light fixture that is between 21" and 22" in diameter.  I keep leaning towards a drum shade pendant, and found one on overstock that I like (and was 22") but it seemed overly "white" to me, and I wanted to add color and texture to the room, so I hadn't pulled the trigger.

Then, I saw someone mention the Short Drum Pendant at West Elm, the only problem is, it's 24".  I decided to stop by the store to see it in person, and I love it.  It's big.  Then again a 22" wouldn't be much smaller.

As I walked around the store, I saw the Large Rectangle Hanging Capiz Pendant, but in gray.  I liked it as well, and it seems like it would be a better size, but I'm afraid it will be out of style in a couple of years.

The best news?  West Elm takes Pottery Barn gift cards, and I'm sitting on $125 worth of Pottery Barn gift cards.  I'm leaning towards the drum shade, because I think it's more "timeless" but with the way I change my mind, it may be a surprise until something is hanging in my dining room!

1 comment: