When I got to my parents house, I found my dad had finished the frame for the headboard. First step, vacuum up all the excess dust.
Next step, start filling the cavity with 2" foam. I've heard a great way to do this is with an electric carving knife, but the one I received as a bridal shower gift is packed away in our storage unit, so a square and straight edge had to suffice. For those who know of my exacto knife mishap a couple months before the wedding will be happy to know I was careful. No trips to the emergency room or stitches for me!
Figure out the arch was a bit more difficult,
and it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked.
Add batting and tack with a few staples.
Especially into the cavity that will attach to the bed portion.
Once we laid the fabric down, we realized the wrinkles in the batting were coming through, so we gave it an iron. Being concerned about melting batting or foam, my mom used a low temp and added a pillowcase into the mix.
Much better.
I started in on the nailhead trim, and that quickly turned into a disaster. Every nail was starting to bend (literally I bent 17 before I got really frustrated). I talked to my dad, and he suggested we pre-drill the holes for the nails, but as it was getting dark (and the Patriots were taking a beating) we decided to call it a night and re-visit later.








Wow, you guys are really doing well on the craftsmanship! I'll be doing mine soon and that is the exact same shape I want. Yours is looking great so far, I can't wait to see the results!
ReplyDeleteGreat project!!! I can't wait to see the final product...if we had the right tools I would love to trying something like this!
ReplyDelete