Thursday, November 18, 2010

Window Treatments for the Great Room

I've been looking for some thermal/blackout window treatments from the house.  I should have looked into these when I lived in the New England, as they claim to help reduce energy bills by blocking heat and cold.  After spending a summer in the southeast, working in an office with a big window, I can appreciate how much these will hopefully help our electric bill (seems like the AC was running non-stop).

I finally came across these panels, Malibu at Bed Bath and Beyond, and loved the colors and texture.


I also loved that they were already lined with a thermal blackout liner.


While I was disappointed the package noted they were a rod pocket curtain, I promptly started googling ways to convert them into a pinch pleat drape.  I found instructions, determined that I could figure out pinch pleat tape, and so I picked up a panel to see how the color changed in different light.

Imagine my surprise when I opened the package and found a surprise.
Back-tab panels - modeled by my beautiful broom -so the tabs are visible.  Now, I must confess, I didn't know what they were, I had to ask on a message board.  I googled back-tab, and imagine my surprise when I realized the look I could achieve if I were to mount the curtain using the back tabs versus the rod pocket.

Rod Pocket

Back Tab

Looks like I won't need to be busting out the pinch pleat tape for the great room.  Now to find throw pillows, art work and accessories to complete the look of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment