Friday, November 5, 2010

Furniture Layout - Master Bedroom

I've been playing around with furniture layouts, trying to figure out which pieces we currently have will fit where, and what pieces I need to be on the lookout for. 

Our master bedroom will be on the first floor, and have a door out to the lanai/pool area; dimensions of the room are 13 feet x 16 feet 8 inches.  The only "piece" of furniture that is 100% coming into the room is our king size mattress.  Oh how I've missed our mattress, it's currently in storage, and we've been borrowing my parents queen-size guest bedroom set.  I'm so thankful we were able to borrow this, but my tall husband has a tendency to sleep diagonal, and I want my space back!

Here's an idea I played around for the furniture layout, obviously with different furniture and wall art.  Looking at this picture I think it could work - but to me, the bed doesn't look big enough to be a king-size bed.  Unfortunately this software doesn't have actual dimensions of furniture - just names like "king size bed".  . 


When I stood in the space last week, it also didn't feel big enough.  Granted, I have no concept of space (and even considering getting the tape measure that was in my purse out of the car) and the interior walls weren't in, so it was kind of hard to judge.  When interior walls go out, I'll be taping off space on the floor, just to ease my mind. 

In terms of a bed, I was originally thinking I wanted to make this beauty with instructions from Ana White, but with a different finish.

Then I started worrying that the room might look too small with a heavy footboard, so I started to look for fabric headboards. 

I love this one from Crate & Barrell, I think it's the nail head trim that draws me in.
But I also liked the thought of possibly having a tufted headboard, like this one from JC Penney.

I did a poll on a message board I frequent, and the majority of the votes were split between the wood bed and the nail head trim bed.  The voters were as split as I am! 

No comments:

Post a Comment